Sunday, July 5, 2015

Fourth of July Bunting Tutorial

A Bunting We Will Go

 I am usually traveling on July 4th, and it has been amazing to experience this day in many cities around the U.S.  This year however, I was excited to be home, with my husband and my pup just enjoying relaxation and the freedoms we take for granted living in this great country. I took full advantage of being home and decided last minute (July 3rd) that I wanted to make a red, white and blue bunting for my mantel.

Off to one of my favorite places in the whole world I went, the fabric store. I ended up buying a lot more red, white and blue material than I first intended, so an Independence Day quilt is in the works as well. However, whilst at the fabric store I also decided today would be the day I began my blogging journey. So here goes nothing!


First things first, I needed some fabric. This is always my favorite part, my cart was literally overflowing at the fabric store and everyone was looking at me like I was completely nuts. I chose to go with a more old fashioned theme in my fabrics, but that is what I love about quilting and sewing, you can choose whatever you like! I had seven different fabrics, but you could use as few or as many as you like. 


My bunting needed to be about 85 inches long for my mantel so I guesstimated that I would need about 13 triangles that were about 6" at the top with 1/2 inch between each one. Nothing I do is super exact, which is why I prefer to devise my own plan rather than using a pattern or exact measurements. In my experience, usually projects in sewing, or in life, do not usually go exactly to plan, and it is easier to just kind of go with it. I ended up using 1/8 a yard of each different fabric for my bunting, so a total of about a yard, plus bias tape.



Before cutting anything, I always iron my fabric to make sure it is nice and flat.


Then I made a cardstock template by folding the paper in half and cutting at a diagonal in the length I preferred for my flags. I traced this pattern as efficiently as i could onto my fabric, and cut it out using fabric scissors.


After I had all my pieces cut. I sewed down the two sides of the triangles with right sides together with a 1/4 inch seam, leaving the top open so I could turn it right side out. When I got down to the point of the flag I made sure the needle was down and I turned the fabric and continued up the other side.


I cut off the tip of the fabric making sure not to cut my stitches, so the corners would be sharper. Turn the flag right side out, using a pencil to poke the corner out.


I cut off these little "dog ears" at the top so it looks like the photo below.



When I had all my individual flags sewed and prepped, I pinned them inside the flap of my bias tape (I made my own but you can buy them). Mine ended up being about a 1/2 inch wide. 


After I had everything pinned, I sewed along the bias tape about 1/8 inch from the edge and voila! A red, white and blue bunting to liven up my mantel.




My sweet boy, Chief ready for some festivities!




1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so impressed with your blogging capabilities!!! Love this! Totally pinning it. Bc it needs to circulate. Lol

    ReplyDelete